Monday, October 26, 2009

October DB Challenge: French Macarons

The 2009 October Daring Bakers’ challenge was brought to us by Ami S. She chose macarons from Claudia Fleming’s The Last Course: The Desserts of Gramercy Tavern as the challenge recipe.

Who ever said that third time is a charm? Well they were fools! Or at least this concept doesn't apply to macarons because, in my case, it took me 4 tries before getting good looking macarons, with the little ruffled feet and a nice height and dry bottoms... no bellies left behind on the baking tray!! Yaaaa!!

First batch are chocolate macarons with a whipped chocolate ganache and a few with chatilly cream and a fresh raspberry half hidden inside. The feet are a little tiny and tops cracked on half of the batch but I "fixed" the problem with my second batch.



Second batch are pink macarons with raspberry curd, smooth shiny tops and beautifully ruffled feet. Since October is Breast Cancer Awarness month, I wanted to go with the pink theme. I didn't have powder food coloring for the shells. I had only gel coloring, which explains the pink freckles... totally unintentional but sooo cute!!



Those who know me well also know that I've been "studying" the art of macaron making for about a year now but never really had the courage to try my luck. I've read everything that I could find on macaron but yet always left them on my "to bake list".

It is hard to believe that something created out of 4 normal ingredients could be so hard to get and to be honest with you I'm scared of trying again... what if I got them right out of pure coincedence? I'd like to think that I actually was able to muster enough self-confidence to not let the macaron overpower me, so to all of you out there who are still trying to bake macarons DO NOT give up! Keep on going until you get it right because it is oh so worth it!


Now I know what all the rave was about... Now I am a new macaron lover!

9 comments:

Allie said...

Your macs look great! I like the raspberry inside.

Wic said...

this looks and I am sure tastes delicious. love your Macaroons.

Unknown said...

Looks great! I like the cream with the raspberry inside, though because I'm not a raspberry fan (I know I'm crazy) I'd be more inclined to put something else in the middle like a slice of strawberry or maybe a blackberry instead :)

Jo said...

Great job on your macarons and I must say that the filings do look so delicious.

Anonymous said...

Very good! I love the thick filling. And yours baked up nicely on the sides.

Audax said...

An inspiration to all of us. Wonderful and beautiful macarons. Cheers from Audax in Australia.

anna said...

That's perseverance! They look really yummy.

Lauren said...

So very pretty! Your macarons look delicious =D. Love the flavours & colours!

Lisa said...

OMG, your macs are absolutely gorgeous, and your flavors yummy, especially the chocolate with chantilly cream and the raspberry center..BUT, your beautiful pinkies to support Breast cancer awareness hold a soft spot. Major kudos, and well done all around!